TOYOTA MOTOR CORPORATION (TMC) announced today the Japan sales launch of
the completely redesigned Corolla sedan—now known as the Corolla Axio*—and
completely redesigned Corolla Fielder small station wagon through "Toyota
Corolla" dealers nationwide.
October 10, 2006
Completely Redesigned Corolla Sedan|
Since its debut in 1966, the Corolla,
through an automobile production approach that has anticipated the demands
of the times, has gained the favor of millions of users, playing a key
role in driving motorization forward. The Corolla is currently sold
in more than 140 countries and regions, and cumulative sales have exceeded
30 million vehicles, making it a best-selling vehicle positioned to lead
the 21st century.
(2WD) with options
||Corolla Fielder S
The new Corolla Axio,
as the 10th generation Corolla sedan, and the redesigned Corolla Fielder
were developed with "car-making by a new measure" as their basic
theme. Toyota focused on enhancing basic performance and deepening
the sense of quality, which is the essence of the Corolla, by responding
to customer needs without being trapped by existing notions of what
constitutes a compact vehicle.
Some specific examples of the active
adoption of features from the customer's perspective are improved
driving-support functions, such as the rearview monitor that is standard
on all Corolla Axio models and the convenience-enhancing one-touch
double-folding rear seats that are standard on all Corolla Fielder
In addition, a new standard for compact sedans and for
station wagons is created through a newly developed 1.8-liter engine and
Super CVT-i (Super Continuously Variable Transmission-intelligent)
transmission that provide outstanding cruising and environmental
performance, as well as through the adoption of innovative and advanced
equipment not previously seen on compact vehicles, such as a Pre-crash
Safety System using millimeter-wave radar and an Intelligent Parking
* The Axio name was
created from the Greek work "axia", meaning "things with
dealers nationwide in Japan|
targets in Japan
||Corolla Axio: 6,000
Corolla Fielder: 6,000 units
||October 14 and 15,
Corolla Axio: Honsha Plant, Central Motor Co.,
Corolla Fielder: Higashifuji Plant, Kanto Auto Works, Ltd.
Advanced Equipment that
Surpasses the Compact Class
* As of September 2006, according
to a TMC survey
- A rearview monitor displays an image of the area to the rear of the
vehicle while backing up to reduce the burden on the driver when parking
(standard on all Corolla Axio models).
- The Corolla Fielder features the world's first* one-touch
double-folding rear seats with backrests that can be folded flat with a
single flip of a lever located in the rear cargo space.
- The optional advanced Intelligent Parking Assist system supports
steering operations when parallel parking and backing into a parking
space. Ultrasonic sensors installed on the front of the vehicle
detect other parked vehicles and based on the results estimate the
physical dimensions of a vacant parking space and set the target parking
- The Corolla Axio features a new Pre-crash Safety System that uses
millimeter-wave radar. When the millimeter-wave radar detects a
high risk of collision, the Pre-crash Seatbelts provide better initial
restraint capabilities for passengers while the Pre-Crash Brake Assist
system decelerates the vehicle to reduce the collision speed and
contribute to less collision-caused damage.
- The new Radar Cruise Control system detects and monitors the
preceding vehicle and the lane, maintaining a fixed distance according
to the preceding vehicle's speed within a preset range of speed.
Exterior Evokes a Sense of Energy
While Interior Displays High Quality
- Based on the Toyota-brand design philosophy "Vibrant Clarity", the
exterior evokes a sense of relaxation and vitality despite its compact
- An attractive front end is created through a design that unifies the
hood with the bumper between the fenders.
- A door line flowing toward the rear and the rear pillars establish a
side view that creates a sharp and stylish image.
- The rear view is formed by combination taillights with a distinctive
design and a clean, supple surface.
- The rear pillars sweep downward to create a gently arcing character
line that displays Corolla Axio's stylish nature.
Highly Maneuverable Body Size and Extremely Comfortable
Interior Space and Equipment
- The impressive front view is created through a design that unifies
the hood with the bumper between the fenders.
- A short front overhang and the long-cabin proportions create an
integrated side view.
- The line along the door shoulder section continues to the rear,
forming a rear view with a sense of strength and integrity.
- The interiors of the Corolla Axio and the Corolla Fielder have
simple and clean designs, with the equipment laid out efficiently, to
create comfortable and convenient spaces with a sense of quality.
New Powertrain with Outstanding Driving and
- The superior package achieves compatibility between a body size that
affords excellent maneuverability and an interior that is comfortable
- The front corners have been given a curved design to achieve
- The backseat floor hump is minimized to create flat-surfaced
legroom, enabling three adults to sit in the rear comfortably
- The steering wheel has a telescoping function that allows its
position to be adjusted front to rear for a comfortable driving posture.
- To enhance visibility, the top surface of the instrument panel is
low while the front pillars have been extended forward and made slimmer.
- The Smart Entry & Start System employs a Smart Key to lock and
unlock the doors and a button to start the engine—all one needs is to
have the vehicle key on one's person or nearby.
- The HDD (hard disc drive) navigation system features a 6.5-inch wide
display screen and a 30GB high-capacity HDD, as well as a variety of
multimedia functions and advanced navigation functions.
* Compared to
vehicles of similar engine displacement
- The new Corolla models feature a new 1.8-liter 2ZR-FE engine and
Super CVT-i (Super Continuously Variable Transmission-intelligent)
transmission developed as the main powertrain for compact and
- A newly developed 1.8-liter 2ZR-FE engine adopts Dual VVT-i (Dual
Variable Valve Timing-intelligent) that optimizes both intake and
exhaust to achieve smooth and powerful acceleration, while offering fuel
efficiency and environmental performance at class-leading levels*.
- Both the 1.8-liter and 1.5-liter engines are combined with a newly
developed Super CVT-i transmission for smooth cruising and linear
acceleration without shift shock, as well as for a quiet ride and
improved fuel efficiency.
- The new Corolla models adopt a light-weight, high-rigidity body that
seeks both a quiet cabin and superior aerodynamic properties; it uses an
advanced chassis to achieve performance that makes it truly possible to
experience the joy of driving.
- Key components of the front and rear suspensions have been optimally
tuned to provide brisk maneuvering and cruising stability, as well as a
* Figures for Corolla Axio (front-wheel-drive model with Super
CVT-i) under the 10-15 Japanese test cycle, as certified by Japan's
Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport
Class-leading Safety and Environmental
* Specified by the Japanese Law
Concerning the Rational Use of Energy
- The GOA (Global Outstanding Assessment) construction has been
further evolved to create an advanced collision-safety body structure.
During collision tests under stricter-than-normal standards, the speed
was set at 55km/h, and the vehicle was subjected to omni-directional,
vehicle-to-vehicle collision tests with a vehicle up to the 2-ton range.
Through the use of a body structure that effectively absorbs collision
impact, Toyota satisfied all independent targets for survival space and
- The pedestrian-injury-lessening body structure has been evolved to
further reduce pedestrian head injuries, pursuing a class-top level of
- The front-seat structures are based on the WIL (Whiplash Injury
Lessening) concept and come with stronger seat frames and greater
backrest give. They were designed based on analyses using THUMS
(Total Human Model for Safety), incorporating a structural design that
reduces stress on the neck during low-speed rear impact.
- All vehicles in the two series have been certified as having
emissions levels 75% lower than the 2005 standards under the Japanese
Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport's Approval System for
Low-emission Vehicles. The 1.5-liter front-wheel-drive model (with
CVT) and 1.8-liter four-wheel-drive model of the Corolla Axio, and the
1.5-liter front-wheel-drive model (with CVT), 1.5-liter four-wheel-drive
model, and 1.8-liter four-wheel-drive model of the Corolla Fielder also
achieve fuel efficiency that is 10 percent greater than the Japanese
2010 fuel efficiency standards*, qualifying for incentives under the
Japanese government's Green Taxation System.
- Eco-VAS (Eco-Vehicle Assessment System)—Toyota's original
comprehensive environmental impact assessment system—was implemented to
achieve, as efficiently as possible, the overall reduction of
environmental impact, from initial development to disposal, throughout
the vehicle's entire lifecycle. LCA (Life-cycle Assessment) was
also carried out, aiming to reduce CO2 and
other atmospheric pollutants, not just during the use stage, but also
during the vehicle's entire lifecycle, from manufacture through to
- A review of the materials, processing methods and adhesives used for
interior parts resulted in a reduction in the amount of VOCs (volatile
organic compounds) used, thereby also reducing the discomforting odors
emitted from such compounds.
- An Eco Drive Indicator lights up when the vehicle is being
efficiently operated to raise the driver's awareness of environmentally
considerate driving and contribute to higher fuel efficiency.
Specially equipped vehicles with factory-installed features for disabled
- Welcab Rotating and Sliding Passenger Seat models (Type A and Type
B) have wider door-opening angles than the base models to further
facilitate vehicle boarding and exiting.
- Welcab Friendmatic Seat models (Type I, Type II) allow for the
installation of a specialized driver's seat and devices that facilitate
driving, enabling people without use of their legs to drive with only
News- Hot News- Introduction
- World -
Religion - Community
- Showbiz -
- Your Voice -
- Feedback -
Urdu Pages -